Thursday, June 24, 2010

NBA Draft Thoughts

The NBA Draft just finished and I left feeling underwhelmed. Maybe it's because I didn't follow college basketball that closely this year, but boy did this seem like a weak draft. Here are some thoughts:
  • I haven't seen Derrick Favors play at all, but everyone seems to like him. And if we ever wanted to know about his confidence, I think this interview with answers all the questions. I'm still not overly sold on the pick for the simple reason that Amare and Bosh play the same position, which makes you wonder if they will be going after a PF at all in free agency
  • Fairly certain that my buddy Matt had an accident in his pants when the Knicks selected his boy Andy Rautins
  • I'm sorry, I know Butler was a good story, but I don't see how Gordon Hayward is a lottery selection. But then again, it was Utah that took him and we know their history. I don't want to speak ill of the team from the Mormon State but I think they have to border on being the most racist team in sports
  • There were freakin trades galore, but the one that affects my team was trading the 27th (Jordan Crawford) and 31st (Tibor Pleiss) for Atlanta's 24th (Damion James). I liked James in college and think he can be a nice bench guy for this team. It's too bad I can say that about a lot of guys on the team - Terrence Williams, Kurt Humphries, Yi Jianlin - who get significant minutes. The point no one is making is that the Nets could not have the guy who became a YouTube star when he dunked on LeBron in a summer league game if they want LeBron to actually sign with them
  • This was the first time the new Warriors logo was used on tv - I think I am a big fan. Now if they can just figure their team out
  • Q-Pon drafted by OKC and then traded to New Orleans. All Seattlites can sigh a breath of relief as we no longer have to think of one of our local boys having to put on those immoral jerseys
  • Boston is now cornering the market on redhead white boys after the selection of Luke Harangody. I have to think coming back for his senior year hurt his draft position - even in this week draft he goes #52 when he may have been a lottery pick last year.
We have about one week to go before the free agency frenzy starts up. Now its about to get good

1 comment:

  1. I found the draft to be a rollercoaster ride. If you look at the number of picks either traded before or after being chosen it has got to be like 75% now. Maybe it is because of positioning before the biggest free agency market ever, but it is really lame. The league has changed a lot, some for the better, some for the worse, but there is way too much movement around the draft. Who can keep up with this? And yes I was THRILLED that the knicks took Andy rautins. I love that guy. Although, the first thing I thought to myself was, I wonder where they will trade him to?

    ReplyDelete