Saturday, June 12, 2010

Mets are Fun Again

I have been skeptical of the Mets' chances at the payoffs this year. I mean, so many things had to go right. Beltran had to come back. Maine and Perez had to pitch well. Ike Davis had to be the real deal. And Wright had to bounce back. Oh, and of course, the bullpen has to hold up.

Obviously, things haven't gone out as planned, but I'll tell ya what - this is the best I have felt about the Mets since 2006. I mean, this is a fun team to support.

The pitching staff consists of two aces, a rookie, knuckleballer and an unknown commodity from Japan. Dickey and Takahashi have been the most unlikely breath of fresh air and somehow the staff feels stable for the first time in awhile. It's great.

Then you have a exciting rookie out of Georgia Tech, a guy who loves to throw pies, a career minor leaguer who has energy coming out of his ass, a Mexican catcher whose name is Rod and of course, the face of the franchise. There seems to be an energy around this team that hasn't been there the past few years. Playoffs or not, it's nice to have a fun team to root for again.

2 comments:

  1. I am totally drinking the Kool-Aid as well my friend. Very excited about how the Mets are playing, but this is the most excited you have been since 2006? I know we have not made the playoffs since then, but lets not forget how well the Mets played through August of 2007 and 2008 and through May of 2009. Of course the collapses of 2007 and 2008 make it hard to remember that those were good seasons, but I was happy with their play up until that point. seasons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, maybe I was a little overstated in saying that 2006 was the last time I was excited, but the collapses hurt so much that that is all I remember. I do remember riding Beltran all of 2007 for not swinging at strike 3 so that did make me angry most of the time. But yeah, I guess in June 2007 I was excited. But still, this seems to be a team that I can identify with. I mean, comparing Pedro and Glavine in 2006-08 to Johan and Pelf in 2010 is a no brainer. These guys are much more fun to root for..

    ReplyDelete