Monday, July 19, 2010

Instant (Over)Reaction: Celtic

My dislike for friendly matches has been previously documented. I wish they didn't happen and I wish I didn't have to talk about them. That being said, yesterday's game against Celtic FC was part of our season ticket package and since we had already paid for it, the wife and I went to cheer on our boys. Interestingly, there were a few moments that need some commentary, so here we go. My first review of a friendly match
  • The game was instantly changed when GK Terry Boss was issued a red card for his take down of Georgios Samaras in the 30th minute. It's a decision that I have issues with. I will be the first person to cite the rules of the game; that when the last man back takes down a player with a clear scoring chance, that he will be issued a red card and sent off. The problem is that Samaras still goes on to score. Referee Paul Ward, after the game noted that he did not play the advantage because he did not feel their was one. So the goal comes off the board, Boss gets tossed, the Sounders have to play a man down, and a player with no name on his jersey enters the game for the first time. I understand the rule, but given the situation I think Ward needs to use his discretion - count the goal and give Boss a yellow card. This was a freaking friendly for crying out loud. Celtic traveled to the states for some preseason training. Sounders FC are just trying to make a little more money all while giving their back-ups the opportunity to play. By sending Boss off, Ward made the game even more meaningless than when it started. I know he has no obligation to the fans, but I feel sorry for those who bought tickets for the game. It was exciting at times, but overall was a bust.
  • I purposely did not mention the back-up goalies name on purpose so that I could give him his proper due here. The kids name was Jordan Jennings, a 25 year old keeper from Seattle University who currently plays for the PDL Tacoma Tides (and actually played the the night before). He was a guest player for the day after Kasey Keller was given the day off to nurse some injuries. Jennings' first duty was to try to save a PK against Samaras, a player fresh off 3 World Cup starts for Greece. His jersey had no name on it. It was a size to big. He appeared to be introducing himself to everyone on the team upon entry. He was without a doubt a little jittery at the start, but overall made some nice plays to keep the team in the game. I have to believe this was the best day of his professional life.
  • I know he turned the ball over way too many times, but it is great to have Alonso back. I am not surprised that the team has made a mini-turn around since his re-introduction into the team. The guys just appear to have more swagger and confidence with Alonso sprinting from player to player, trying to rip the ball away from them.
  • My opinions on the Fred's changes monthly. currently I am on the Montero side, as it is so clear to everyone in the stadium what a different player he is without Ljungberg in the game. His confidence is clearly there and he is such an exciting player (Did you know he has 7 assists on the year??) when the Ljungberg shackles are taken off.
  • I understand how and why Sigi is cheating the system with placing David Estrada on the IR, but I have to think it is a little weasley. Placing a player on the IR means they cannot play in an MLS competition for 6 matches (but can be available for US Open Cup and Champions League), thus allowing the team some flexibility in not having to drop him to make room for Blaise Nkufo. But with Estrada playing (and scoring) against Celtic, how can anyone believe he is injured? Obviously the MLS Front Office is watching - look for this rule to be changed next year.
  • Speaking of Nkufo, he is good. Man-crush good. Again, it was an exhibition, but he was always a step ahead of his competition in terms of decision making and for being a huling 6'2" always appeared to be more skilled than I envisioned. Somehow the ball never came off his foot.
  • Finally, Celtic looked like a rugby team with the collared shirts. I have always thought the hoops were interesting when I saw them on tv, but in person, the collars and the white shorts just didn't do it for me.
Sounders now get an actual full week of practice before Sunday night's game against Colorado (look for a Colorado based preview here in the next few days). Then it is something like 5 games in 14 days or something - this is where our depth is going to be tested. But I am back in full belief mode, so I have no doubt they will get it done.

2 comments:

  1. What will he have to do to make your man-crush list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, this is actually a tough week - a lot of great candidates. only thing stopping him from being on the list is my lack of updates for the week

    ReplyDelete