Thursday, July 15, 2010

Night at the Ballpark: Salem

The final night of our two game , two city Oregon baseball tour rolled into Keizer, OR as the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes hosted the Boise Hawks. Now, I have been to probably 15 different minor league stadiums in my life and seen upward of 30 games. I can say with confidence that tonight's game may rank in the top three. It was an overall amazing night - here are the highlights
  • Thursday nights at Volcanoes Stadium are $1 beer nights. No kidding. $1 beers. Luckily I was with my family, so I was able to hold back, but had I been with Jay, I probably would have spent the night in the car. I heard a guy who just graduated from college talk about how slow the service was and it made me laugh. To him, $1 beer is a right, not a privilege. It happens. But when you're 30 with a kid, $1 beer night is like the holy grail.
  • I'm not sure I have ever been to a stadium closer to the freeway than I was tonight. I-5 I think was no more than 50 yards from the right field wall. The stadium was in stark contrast to PK Park - no frills at all. really felt like a minor league ballpark.
  • $18.25. Thanks to the $1 beer night, I bought 4 beers, 3 hot dogs, kettle korn and a baseball for $18.25. The hot dogs were $2.75 and made me forget the decision to not buy the bacon wrapped hot dog last night. It was amazing.
  • At about the 3rd inning, I got word of the Sounders win. The wife and I were the only ones excited in the stadium. Love ya Roger
  • My daughter didn't know what to make of Crater, the volcanoes mascot. She couldn't even muster a wave, which for her is hard to do.
  • When the Volcanoes hit a home run, smoke came out of the scoreboard
  • Volcanoes Stadium had an amazing selection of food - Kielbasa, Rice Bowls, Wraps, Nachos, Salad...enough to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters
  • Once again, we bought bleacher seats and got to sit behind home plate. Credit the small crowds and the baby stroller.
  • The Volcanoes played Super Mario Bros. music after several at bats
  • I am really old. Now I know that 21 is a lot younger than 30, but I was shocked at how young kids looked when standing on the beer line. Seriously, it was amazing. I later found out that one kid sitting in front of me was using a fake, but still..it was ridic.
Overall, it was an amazing night. I think the ball game was good too - 4-2 Salem-Keizer when I left, but it was hard to determine with the amount of time I spent on the beer line. I have no report on any prospects, but will leave you with this bit of knowledge: my boy D-Lib used to be an intern for the Volcanoes. I was interested in finding out whether he was a good employee or not, but no one had heard of him. Way to make an impression, D.

5 comments:

  1. Volcanoes Stadium has, by far, the best selection of food in minor league baseball and could rival many major league parks. The atmosphere is also tremendous. The Stadium even has a play area for kids. Well thought out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to bring the Sounders a win from DC.
    -JWill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the Crater Corn (kettle corn) they sell and give away during the games sometimes as promotions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear I'm remembered fondly at the Volcanoes. Funny that your daughter didn't know what to think of the mascot. When I interned in the front office another staff person raised the issue that the mascot was scaring the kids - this was in 2004. Good to know some things don't change.

    Hope you noticed the address of the stadium: 6700 Field of Dreams Way. Have to love those kind of things about minor league stadiums and baseball.

    I think you should also write up a review on being at Wal-Mart in Salem.

    -D-Lib

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure how I feel about being labelled such an enabler, but I'm jealous you got to check out these parks out west. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete