Monday, July 5, 2010

Monday Night Five Pack

Here's a five pack of thoughts to help you get your sports buzz:
  • Amare Stoudemire is the only big name to have changed teams so far this offseason, signing a 5-year $100 million contract to reunite with his former coach Mike D'Antoni in NY. Apparently Amare says that he can get both Carmelo and Tony Parker to the Garden within the next year. Knicks fans had better hope so, because alone, Amare is not the guy to bring glory back to NY. I have said that I would have loved him in the Swamp, mainly because he would have been dominant next to Brook Lopez. But in NY? What is he going to do alongside Eddy Curry and Danilo Gallinari?
  • The World Cup SemiFinals begin tomorrow. Somehow I was able to correctly guess 3 of the 4 final teams prior to the start of the tournament. I won't change my prediction - Holland - but have to say that Germany looks like the class of the tournament. They absolutely dismantled Argentina in the Quarters and their counter attack looks absolutely nasty. I can't see Spain getting by them.
  • I was all ready to vent my frustration with Mike Pelfrey not making the All-Star Game. But then he goes out and has his second straight stinker, giving up 7 in 4 2/3 innings. Here's hoping that Pelfrey takes the snub personally and mowes down all his opponents in the second half. The Mets can't afford to have him slip up. We need him to pitch well if we want to stay in the playoff hunt.
  • I don't believe that hot dog eating is a sport, but I have to say that I loved the drama with Kobeyashi over the weekend. For those unfamiliar, the former 6-time champion did not participate in this years Nathan's July 4th Hot Dog Competition, but was in the crowd to watch reigning 3-time champion Joey Chestnut win his 4th in a row. With the crowd chanting his name, Takeru Kobeyashi stormed the stage and was arrested. I'm a huge wrestling fan and this has wrestling stick written all over it. I love it. Now the Major League Eating circuit has to follow this up and schedule some sort of grudge match. The American sports public will not remember this come next July 4th. They need to act now.
  • I won't bother writing a Sounders review because they simply got it handed to them by a better team. At 4-8-2, they are seemingly out of the playoffs. So I think they need to focus on US Open Cup and Champions League this year. I know casual fans won't understand this opinion, but its what they need to do. The league is done - get some more hardware and don't allow this year to be alost cause. Two more wins and we're in the final of the US Open Cup. Two more wins in MLS and we're 6-8-2 and still outside looking in. The choice is easy.

2 comments:

  1. 1) B-Ball m'eh
    2) Germany looks to role. I only hope my pick, Espana, can use the crafty side of their aging defense to withstand the young German attack.
    3) Go Mariners. Who do you think Cliff Lee will end up with. Back in Philly?
    4) Back to the age old definition of what is a sport.
    5) Here is my problem. The starting line up is not cutting it, yet the same guys are playing time-after-time. Do you think we can/will surprise LA by trotting out the MLS starters? Will it make a difference?
    -JWill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, from what I hear, the longer that the M's don't trade lee, the less likely he will be coming to the Mets. And frankly, that is all I care about. Right now we can offer the M's a combo of C Josh Thole (who coincidentally is getting playing time even though we are carrying 3 catchers??), P Jennry Mejia, some minor leaguers and Angel Pagan. This might not be good enough if other teams get into the race.

    I doubt he goes back to Philly because the front office would look silly having traded him away last year.

    I hope Zdurneickektkltk really is planning on trading him, because his stance that the M's are still in contention so why would they trade him, is worse than not trading Bedard last year. I know they get two picks if he walks, but everything is such a gamble when dealing with prospects - why not get some guys who right now are showing they can play. Makes no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete