Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Purest Form of Sports

When I was 20 I traveled 2.5 hours from NJ to Bristol, CT with my buddy Jay to watch the Mid-Atlantic finals of the Little League World series. Pequannock, a near by town who had just won the state title, had a seemingly killer team and we wanted to say that we had experienced 'big time' little league baseball, even if it was only from the stands. We traveled to Bristol since we had never made it to Williamsport, PA, home of the LLWS, even though it was less than an hour away from Bucknell.

It was an exciting game, but it was just a little different than any other sporting event I had seen. At stake was a trip to Williamsport, the magical place where all your Little League baseball dreams could come true. When you watched them throw curveballs, make diving catches and turn double plays, it was easy to fall into the trap of thinking these 12 year old boys were just like the professionals you see on your tv. But then you catch a glimpse of 12 year old Timmy crying in the dugout because he struck out with 2 outs in the 6th with runners on and you realize the beauty of the event. They're not professionals - they're 12 year old boys who love the game and love their teammates.

The LLWS is an event that focuses on teamwork and fellowship above all else. The boys are encouraged to have fun and enjoy the experience rather than on winning and losing. You can tell that the coaches get it (or at least they do when they are on camera). In professional sports, coaches who yell and belittle their players often are successful - in the LLWS I have never seen a coach that acts like a jerk. I don't think its a coincidence.

To me, though, the best part of the LLWS is the experience that young American boys get when they get to play on the same field as teams from other countries. Technically US and International teams don't play each other until the finals, but with the teams staying in the same hotels and watching each other games, its hard not to be in contact with each other. What a great message this sends. Here you are, a 12 year old boy from Iowa, and you watch a 12-year old from Caracas, VZ or Tokyo, Japan crack a big smile playing the same game that you love. As adults, we always accentuate our differences, but in LLWS our common bonds are stories.

Don't get me wrong, the kids want to win. They're competitors - you have to be to be the best at something. But their perspective on the game is refreshing. I have watched the numerous finals in the past and I have actually seen the losing team cheering for their counterparts. When you take a step back and think about it, you realize that you are watching the purest form of sports left in our country.

In addition to the games in Williamsport, ESPN is showing a lot of regional finals this year. It's a bit overkill, even to me, but instead of complaining, I am finding something else to watch so that I can save my viewing for the games in Williamsport. I know I am a little crazier than most - I don't expect you to watch Suriname vs Mexico in the semi-finals, but if you are getting fed up with professional sports, I do recommend that you watch the finals on August 29. I know you will be happy you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment