Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Three Random Things

I know I have been doing a pretty crappy job of blogging recently and that you don't want to see another list, but have to take time to mention three random things around the world of sports.

1. A North Korean soccer player, Jong Tae-Se, has been signed by German soccer team Bochum and scored two goals in his debut against 1860 Munich. I am simply amazed by this because I had no idea that any North Koreans played their soccer outside of the People's Republic. In doing a little more research I see that there are three players from their World Cup roster who play internationally - both Jong and An Yong-Hak (both born in Japan) as well as Hong Yong-Jo who plays in Russia.

I don't know all the politics and I'm sure any comments I have will come off sounding naive, but this has to be considered a big step, right? If North Korea is serious about their players gaining more international experience, then doesn't that mean becoming less isolated? That can only be a good thing.

2. I was at beautiful Lake Crescent the other day on a hike and I saw two men wearing Oklahoma City Thunder shirts. I was honestly unable to enjoy the view the entire time they were within close proximity to me. One guys wife was asking questions about boating to a local guy (who seemed not to care about the shirts) and it was obvious that they were oblivious (or really really really sinister). Anyways, I came across this article. While it in no way makes up for the Sonics leaving, it could be a small win for this town.

3. The UFL is signing some more big name football players (or at least they were big names at one time) for their upcoming season. Last year JP Losman was the biggest name. This year, the league has signed Jeff Garcia, Daunte Culpepper, Ahman Green, Dominic Rhodes and many others with NFL experience. The biggest news, however, is that Maurice Clarett, the one time OSU stud has been granted permission by a judge to travel to out of state to try out for the Omaha Nighthawks. All reports are that Clarett finally has his head on straight (he recently re-enrolled at OSU) and now we will see if he is in any kind of shape. Clarett has made a lot of mistakes in the past. Like all Americans he deserves a second chance and it looks like he might get one. The UFL is not a household name (I bet not one of my two readers has ever heard of it), but it is a start. I for one am hoping he gets a shot to turn his life around. First with an education. Second as a professional football player.

1 comment:

  1. AFL in Seattle? There were rumors about that when I was trying out in Austin.

    -Your Favorite Kicker

    ReplyDelete