Friday, September 24, 2010

Community Letdown

The Wife and I really like Community and we think Betty White is hilarious. So naturally, the prospect of having her guest star on Community excited us. Unfortunately for us, it was a huge letdown.

I don't want to give the plot away for those of you who haven't watched yet. So let me say three things. First, they have done that episode several times already. It's only the start of season two - it's getting boring already. Second, they killed several major plot lines. They could have certainly milked Jeff-Annie and Jeff-Britta for a few more weeks and I would have enjoyed it more. Finally, knowing that Betty White was only around for one episode, you knew she was going to do something to get her suspended. This is not like other shows where guest stars can make a cameo appearance in one episode. This show is about community college, which means professors play a major role. They need to be on more than one episode unless there is some major reason.

Luckily The Office made up for my disappointment. Maybe its just me, but I felt that the show got back to it's roots. Jim was pranking Dwight. The staff was complaining to Michael. Michael was being an idiot in the conference room. Now this is a show where they can have episodes with similar story lines as in the past. They work because it's all about the characters. They have been around long enough that it still feels fresh.

Finally, I am really really upset with Outsourced. I did not watch. Now will I ever watch. I would like to know who at NBC thought this was a good idea. I mean if you can look beyond the terrible setting and premise, you realize that every joke is racist. We're not talking fart jokes that are tacky to some in the population. We're talking about racist name and culture jokes. Way to alienate an entire part of the population. I can't believe that this is on tv, let alone in the 9:30 timeslot on Thursday. What a terrible decision.

1 comment:

  1. I'm feeling you with the Betty White thing. The only difference is that I'm getting tired of seeing her now. It seems like she's just getting thrown into anything that can possibly use her. Her role on Community was pretty lame. I thought the show overall was good though. I do agree that they could have gone further with the love triangle thing.

    The Office was funny last night. Very good. 30 Rock wasn't bad either, but that show has gone past its prime. The show you really should be talking about is Modern Family. Best comedy right now, no doubt about it.

    ReplyDelete