Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Soccer Gods At It Again

I am a believer in the Soccer Gods. I know they exist. I mean, how else can you explain 2 critical games in which two-goal leads were lost. First there was the Sounders 3-2 loss to Monterrey in which the hosts scored three goals in 5 minutes after the Sounders led 2-0 at halftime? Then there was the 3-1 deficit that Kansas City rallied to overcome thanks to a 97th minute Josh Wolff goal (seriously...97th minute). The first result ended the Sounders chances in Champions League. The second moved KC within 3 points of us for the final playoff spot. Both were HUGE games. Both were going our way until late.

So how do I explain it? Simple...I got a historic win from Northampton over Liverpool in the Carling Cup. I blogged about it. I didn't mention the Sounders. The Soccer Gods reminded me my #1 priority are the boys in Rave and Blue. Their loss hurts more than the Cobblers' win. I was taught a lesson - one that I hope to learn from.

********

So as not to anger the Soccer Gods again, let me quickly mention the importance of this weekend. Their are some HUGE MLS games. First is our game against Chicago. Win and we won't have to worry about them again this year. They will be done. Then there is a crucial game in Texas as KC travels to FC Dallas. Dallas is unbeaten in like 82 games while KC is making a late surge. It would be great to get some help from the Hoops. Finally, there is a big game in San Jose as Toronto FC comes into town. Toronto trails us by 5 points while SJ is tied with us (but with two games in hand). A tie would be amazing. A SJ win would be ok. A Toronto win would make things interesting. So let's hope for first a Sounders win and then some help.

Come on Sounders score a goooallll, score a goooalll, score a goooaaallllooooaallloooalll

1 comment:

  1. Come on Sounders score a goooallll, score a goooalll, score a goooaaallllooooaallloooalll or four.

    ReplyDelete