Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Champions!!

Last night was amazing. As you know, I went into the game really nervous and it wasn't until kickoff that I truly felt at ease and excited. Then in the 24th minute, the Crew put one past Keller to go up 1-0. At that point I wasn't overly nervous as I knew we would get one back. We were playing to well not to. Then it happened. Nyassi in the 38th and then again in the 66th. Back to back US Open Cup Champions. I won't speak too much about the game, as you can find reviews here, here, and here. In addition, pics from the night can also be found here and here while postgame video can be found here. (In addition, I hope to have some personal video later in the week)

Most of my comments come from after the game:
  • First, I am very very thankful that the front office and the players take this tournament seriously. I know the MLS Cup is the ultimate goal, but getting some silverware and being able to say you are champions of a tournament that is in it's 94th year is a special feeling. Being that the last championship in one of the four major sports came over 30 years ago, titles are a rare thing in Seattle. This is one that should be embraced by everyone.
  • The on-field celebration quickly became the Blaise Nkufo Hugging Hour. Seriously, I think he may have hugged every person in the organization. He was that happy. For those few who still hate, I want you to think about that for a second. He has played in a World Cup; captained his club team; led his club team to a Dutch Eredivisie title and he has a statue outside of FC Twente's Stadium. Yet here he is, in the US, playing in a tournament that most team in the country don't even take seriously and he seemed to be genuinely excited.
  • Kasey Keller is amazing. The fans LOVE him.
  • Miguel Montano got a big Sounders flag from someone and proceeded to run up and down the sideline as the rest of the team was doing a victory lap. Zakuani then got the flag and ran back and forth in front of ECS. How can you not love that?
  • I think I speak for all of Sounders Nation when I say I wish I could have been in the locker room with them to celebrate. I imagine Joe Roth is going to have a large champagne bill.
  • The electricity kits (that one's for you, Joe) are quickly growing on me. Sure enough, they are terrible on tv, but in person they are less offensive. NOw that we have won a title in them, I'm not sure I have anything negative to say.
Ok, I can't hold back - two game related thoughts:
  • Feel a little bad for Nate Jaqua -he led the team to victories in the previous games, but could only get a minute in last nights final. Hopefully he is able to step back and realize his importance. With MLS, Champions League and US Open Cup on the docket, the season is a long one and every single person is needed at one time or another. We all thank you for your efforts, Nate.
  • Steve Zakuani is quickly becoming one of the best players in the league (and no, I don't think that is an overreaction). He still has a few things he needs to correct (like shooting when you have a look inside the 12), but overall his game is quickly becoming one that no one in the league can match.
I'm sure Sigi will give the guys an evening or two to enjoy the win before getting back to work. As most know, there are still 3 games left in the regular season, including an elimination game this weekend against KC. Win and the Sounders are in the playoffs. Lose and the final two games against Houston and Chivas will have some extra tension. Let's get it done on Saturday boys. For now, enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Have to agree with you with Zakuani, Ive been watching him closely this year and its a shame Siggi wont play him the full 90 (as he seems to terrorize full backs in the second half). His vision and understanding of his team-mates positioning/runs has improved tremendously (if anyone has trouble seeing that, look at the way he doesnt look on some splitting passes, he just knows where his guy will be), that is something that Sanna Nyassi could learn from. Pleased for him too, works hard and like Nfuko, amazing what a goal will do to your confidence :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have talked often about Zak not being able to go 90 and the only thing I can think of is that he doesn't know how to last 90 minutes yet. What I mean is this: from up in the stands at Qwest his speed looks so effortless, but on the pitch at Starfire you can see that he is balls out sprinting on every run. So maybe he hasn't learned how to conserve his energy when not in the play?? I don't know - just crazy that he doesn't go 90 yet.

    Also, forgot to add above that Alonso was all over the field again last night. My man-love for him is well documented, so I'm sure my praise for him comes as no surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd still take an 80% Zakuani over any right full back in the league, I think he has the beating of them all.

    This team is looking very settled right now though, I like the shape and they seem to have a lot of confidence passing (looks sharper and smoother than the early part of the season), again I think Parke and Ianni are the root of a lot of good stuff going on in our team at the mo. Not sure about Wahl though, little too heavy on the ball, doesnt look comfortable playing quick passes. Olonso is a great worker, always liked his work rate. Blaise held the ball up well but if there was one criticism I would have of his is that he doesnt get into the box quick enough, with our speedy wingers, he has to understand that the ball is going to zip in quick when he feeds it out wide, he'll score a lot more goals if he spun and moved after feeding it off.

    Hopefully we can build on this and make a decent playoff run, we're a good side right now but teams like LA, NY, RSL are going to be hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete