Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tonight's a Big Night

My buddy D-Lib asked me what my excitement level was for tonight's US Open Cup Final featuring my Soudners against Columbus. I told him that I really hadn't thought about it yet and that I was still basking in the excitement of Saturday's game against Toronto FC. The more I thought about it though, the more I realized that reason I'm not wildly excited is that I am scared.

I'm scared that Columbus could come to Qwest and walk out with the win. I should feel confident knowing that Columbus is 0-2-2 lifetime against us. I should feel confident that we just crushed them 4-0 at Crew Stadium two weeks ago. I should feel confident because we are on a roll and at home. But here's the rub - we're not playing Chivas or KC or some other bottom dweller. Columbus is a quality side who have been at the top of MLS standings for the past 4 years. They are not going to just roll over because we have 36k fans in our stadium. If anything, I expect them to play like they have a fire under their ass. Quality teams don't like to lose, let alone get blown out at home. If the Sounders think they are going to have a cake walk they are in for a rude awakening. And yes, C-bus has never beaten us, but guess where the two ties occurred...that's right, at Qwest.

I don't want people thinking I am predicting a Columbus win and I certainly don't want people thinking I am in any way rooting for Columbus. Once I don the race green tonight, I expect to go hoarse in less than 30 minutes. Schelotto, Rogers and Gavin have a lot of venom coming their way. But the excitement aside, i just can't hide the fact that I am feeling a bit uneasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment