Friday, November 19, 2010

First Huskies Game

Last night I have the privilege of attending my first Huskies football game (not sure how I have gone 6 years without going to one...), a nationally televised Thursday night tilt against UCLA and former UW Coach Rick Neuheisel. While the team has been thoroughly disappointing this season, I was truly excited to soak in the experience. I can say that I wasn't let down.

The game started off on the wrong foot as UCLA took their second drive 92 yards on 13 drives and used 6:42 of clock time. They simply dominated the Huskies defense and it looked like it was going to be a long night. Husky Stadium was quiet. We all sensed what was coming. But then something strange happened - our defense starting making stops and when Jake scored on a 3 yards touchdown, the momentum switched and we never looked back. After their scoring drive drive, UCLA gained 50 yards on their final 12 drives, including -28 yards on their final 4 drives. The Husky defense was very solid and helped us win an ugly game.

It was special being their on Senior Night. I won't pretend like the atmosphere was amazing (I'd say the stadium was 3/4 full), but I definitely felt what it could be, or better yet was it was like once upon a time. The stadium was loud for a 3-6 team that hasn't been bowling since 2002. I can only imagine how insane it was during the good years.

Going to the game sort of changed my mind about the whole renovation thing. Not surprisingly, the UW Board of Regents approved a $250million renovation for Husky Stadium yesterday, a project that is supposed to be done in time for the 2013 season. At first I was against the renovation for a few reasons. First, and most importantly, that is a whopping amount of money to be spent on college athletics. In the current economic setting, spending this much money, regardless of the source, on athletics seems a little misguided. Second, Seattle already has a beautiful football stadium in Qwest Field. I know it is downtown and not on Mountlake, but it is downtown. How many universities say they play downtown in a major city...I think it could be great.

After going to the game last night, I can see why this is such a hot debate. A lot of the arguments made by fans is that if the games were played at Qwest, then there could be no tailgating. I found this humorous but after seeing what the tailgating experience was like, I can honestly see why so many people are not willing to give it up. This wasn't like tailgating at the Meadowlands and certainly not close to tailgating at Christy Matthewson Memorial Stadium -this was a community event. It seemed that everyone knew everyone (and they probably did). I'm not convinced this is the single reason why the Huskies need to play on campus, but I can certainly understand this argument more.

The other big argument is that you just can't replace the history and setting of the stadium. I honestly felt like I could have been watching a game from the 1950's (well, besides the insistent advertising and long-ass tv breaks..oh, and the cheerleaders and the increase physicality of the game) which was a pretty cool feeling. Somehow I felt a connection to the past, as small as it was. As for the setting? Well, what else can you say. The Big House might be the biggest. Death Valley might be the loudest. But Husky Stadium is the most picturesque; the most amazingly beautiful in the country, even at night time.

So yeah, I was totally sold on the experience. I still have reservations about how much money is being spent on renovating the stadium, but as always I will just turn my head and forget about it. I do it all the time with the Mets, so why not with the Huskies as well.

A major thanks to my boy T-Gasp for the tickets last night. We sat right on the 50 yard line in the 300 section. It was a cold evening, but we were protected from the wind and got to see the entire field in a Husky win. Can't ask for anything more.

3 comments:

  1. actually, you can ask for more. you can ask for the damned weiner devils to beat the freaking maple leafs. that's what you can not only ask for, but expect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, well, the devs suck this year. plain and simple. i have reserved myself to that thinking. all dynasties have to come to an end sometime and this is our year.

    i enjoyed bucci's article the other day - it gave me hope for the future. but maybe this just isn't our year

    ReplyDelete
  3. a high first round pick would look really nice... not sure if it's a deep draft or not. I'll have to revisit the whole lou/salary cap/devils debacle and maybe find some more hope based on who leaves and when.

    ReplyDelete