Friday, November 19, 2010

Pat Burns: 1952-2010


Pat Burns was awesome and probably my favorite of numerous Devils' coaches. He won the Jack Adams award for best coach three times, although not during his Stanley Cup-winning campaign with NJ.


For several years after he was diagnosed with cancer (in 2005) I had held out hope that he would recover to the point that he would return to the bench, which might have been selfish. I'm glad that he lived 5 years after his initial diagnosis and I'm glad we were treated to one last Coach Burns moment in September:


"They're trying to kill me before I'm dead. I come to Quebec to spend some time with my family and they say I'm dead. I'm not dead, far [expletive] from it. They've had me dead since June. Tell them I'm alive. Set them straight."


Rest in Peace, Coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment