Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Sounders Use Protection

After weeks of speculation, we finally found out who the Sounders were protecting from from the Expansion Draft. I made my own selections on Saturday and much to my surprise, was correct only correct on 7 of them: Alonso, Montero, Zakuani, Keller, Parke, Hurtado. The eighth player on the list was Brad Evans, a player that I really like but who I thought might not be protected because of his high salary and history of injuries. Ultimately I am happy he is coming back.

The final three names came as a big shock to me. Michael Fucito, James Riley and Nate Jaqua. I didn't see the Jaqua selection coming - he has a high salary, is from Oregon and was not starting at the end of the season. I figured he was a perfect candidate for Portland. As for Fucito, I guess they rate him super highly. I like him a lot I just didn't think he was one of the top 11. And what can I say about James Riley? I thought he was expendable, but apparently not.

The craziest thing about the players they protected was the resulting players that they did not protect. The biggest omission has to be Patrick Ianni. I know they protected two central defenders already, but how can you let him go? He was the heart and soul of their revamped defense and was quickly becoming a leader. There is NO way Portland doesn't pick him.

The other names to be left unprotected are Leo Gonzalez, Nathan Sturgis, Sanna Nyassi and Blaise Nkufo. I saw the Nkufo thing coming - his age, his salary, his production and his connection to Vancouver made it easy to see. I was on the fence with Sturgis and Nyassi so I am not surprised, but I am surprised about Leo. Maybe I am blind on this one, afterall I'm the same guy who said that James Riley was expendable, but he is only making $72k. And he is quality.

So now we sit here, less than 24 hours from the expansion draft, wondering who we will lose. We know it's going to be 2 players, but we don't know who. I expect Ianni and Nyassi but who knows, Vancouver might take a chance with Nkufo. Portland might take a chance with the steady Nathan Sturgis. Or they might throw a curveball and take Miguel Montano. I have no idea.

What I do know is that there is some talent available on other teams. There are the big name, big contract guys that won't be selected - Freddie Ljungberg, Nery Castillo, Julian de Guzman, Juan Pablo Angel. There are also the old guys like Freddie Hejduk, Pat Onstad, Guillermo Barros Schelotto. And then there are a lot of young, low salary, high talent guys like Anthony Wallace, Corey Ashe, Pat Phelan, Brad Knighton, Kyle Reinish, Shea Salinas, Tim Ward. And then there are some young, mid-salary, high talent guys like Dax McCarty, Daniel Hernandez, Ryan Cochrane, Chris Seitz, Eric Avila, Alex Nimo and Ned Grabavoy . Expansion teams never seem to pick who the pundits think they should, but there is some talent out there. I'll be happy to get more than 50% correct.

********
Also, I want to take this time to thank Pete Vagenas for his service to the Sounders. On Monday he was traded to Colorado for two international defenders - 21 year old Danny Earls from Ireland and 30 year old Julian Baudet from France. The trade was one of necessity - I think the Sounders no longer had room for him and his large salary while the Rapids had too many international players. I don't know what the team is going to do with either player, but Earls might be a cheap starting option if Leo is selected. Baudet, on the other hand, actually has a higher salary than Vagenas so this wasn't a true salary dump - I have a feeling the team might just release him.

This is just the start of what should be an interesting offseason. And if this is the sign of things to come, it will definitely be crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment