Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Wednesday Five-Pack

Here is a 5-pack of thoughts to quench your Thanksgiving Eve appetite.
  • My hatred of the Yankees is well known. My hatred of Captain America, Derek Jeter is also well known. What might not be well known however is the respect that I have for him. If he was on any other team, I would have no problem with him. He never gets into trouble off the field. He never kills his teammates in the press. He plays the game the way it should be. He is a great player, but he is a lifelong Yankee and a winner of 5 World Series. That is why I am absolutely shocked that the Yankees management is playing hardball with him this offseason. Sure they are offering a great deal, but Jeter thinks this is below value. For a team that basically prints money, paying him what he wants should be a no-brainer. He is the face of the franchise - to let him walk and play for another team seems ridiculous. This is not a front office that is afraid of spending money, so why start now? Why play hardball with Jeter?
  • I just got done watching UW-Kentucky and I must say that we let one get away. Terrence Jones, who originally committed with UW before signing with John Calipari and the Wildcats, torched the Huskies for 16 points and 17 boards in the 'Cats 74-67 win. Losing to Kentucky is not a terrible loss, but it was a painful one given how well Jones played. He looks like the real deal and he totally could have put us over the top this season. Obviously we weren't going to run through every team this season, but it's disappointing to see a UW team once again have their halfcourt offense go cold against a highly rated team. This team will go far but we need to get better in close games.
  • Thanksgiving football is one of the best traditions in sports. For 27 years I have watched the Lions and Cowboys and I hope to do so for many more years. It's not that I like either team and it's not that the games are guaranteed to be good. It's just tradition - don't get rid of it to make sure the games are more competitive. I want football to be in the background - I don't need it to be the main event.
  • With a 107-100 OT win against Atlanta, the Nets are now 5-9 on the season. It's not good enough for the playoffs, but it is a huge improvement from last year. Considering that 5 of the 9 losses have come against the Magic (2), Heat, Nuggets and Jazz, I think this team is ready to take the next step.
  • The holiday season always makes people realize how lucky they are. With temperatures in Seattle in the low teens the past few days, I couldn't think how lucky I am to have a roof over my head and food on my table. I am blessed to be able to have a silly thing like a blog because it means I have the resources to do so. If you are able to read this blog, I hope you can realize how blessed you are too.
Not sure if I will have time to blog tonight or tomorrow, but the Sounders just lost Sanna Nyassi and Nathan Sturgis to Vancouver. My initial thoughts: it does suck losing two of our guys, but I am glad we did not lose Patrick Ianni and while Sturgis will be missed, we do have Brad Evans, El Flacco and Mike Seamon to help offset his lost. Best of luck to them both - hope they don't come back to burn us like Seba.

2 comments:

  1. Both Portland and Vancouver immediately traded away their no.1 picks???? What is up with that? Nyassi to Colorado for some beat-up has-been international? (let me remind everyone that there are few and far between decent intl players in the history of MLS, plenty of big names but no big performances so far - except perhaps Keller).

    I am more disappointed in the loss of Sturgis, he's a decent ball player, and creative midfield is where we suck. Alonso is a great ball winner and defensive midfielder, but not a defence-opener, Sturgis looked promising in that area. Anyhoo, could be worse, Portland and Van will suck next season and it will be fun to beat up on them both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. on Jjeter being mr humanitarian (he's a real giver)...

    although I am a red sox fan, please note that I didn't make this up...

    ...but supposedly jeter has infected a number of the famous people he has "dated," while at the top of the hollywood herpes list. the following have all supposedly contracted the virus from the captain:

    jessica alba, jessica biel, mariah carey, vanessa minillo, scarlett johansson, as well as orlando bloom and nick lachey (who were both infected with the jeter strain by this minillo girl).

    I love the interwebs.

    that said, I have to agree with you rob. the yankees print money - why create some ridiculous limit on the face of the franchise? and we're not even talking about the kind of money they're paying mr may at third base. for a team with a $200 million payroll, there is literally no difference between $7 mil and $15 mil. just overpay him for what he's done for the team these past 15 years and get over it. and if you're going to question salaries, maybe you should start with burnett first...

    ReplyDelete