Friday, February 11, 2011

I'm ALL In Again

Sports fans are an interesting breed because they are nothing like the athletes that they support. Besides winning, we feel that loyalty is the most important thing. We honestly believe that we would not take the millions of dollars thrown at us if we were able to swtich roles. And in the face of certain disappointment we are always believing that something good is about to happen.

When I was younger I would let a Mets or Devils loss ruin my week. I put so much energy and passion into supporting them, that when they lost it felt like I had lost (of course it didn't help that I had to listen to idiot Yankees and Rangers fans over the years). As I have gotten older, I have started to take a more realistic approach to how I support my teams. I still will watch every game I can. I still will spend countless hours emerged in any information about them. But the hope that I once had has steadily decreased. First there was the epic Mets collapse in 2007 and the follow-up collapse in 2008. Add in 5 straight first round playoff exits by the Devils, a 12 win season by the Nets and some pretty terrible UW football teams and the undying faith in my teams was seemingly gone.

Then out of nowhere, I seemingly have found my sports faith again. I have really tried to stay way from the recent Devils hot streak. They dug such a deep hole that it was seemingly impossible for them to make the playoffs. I have written about the sheer madness of it a few times; each time hoping that I could convince my heart that they had no shot. But just when I think they can't do it anymore, BOOOM, they win another game. Thursday it was an OT win against Toronto. Last night, a win over San Jose. Their recent record now stands at 12-1-2 in their last 15 and they suddenly sit 12 points out of 8th place. I can';t stand it anymore. I AM ALL IN on the Devils right now. I know it is going to lead to inevitable disappointment because their margin of error. Simply put, they can't lose any games from now on. They need to play their best hockey and keep on winning every 3 out of 4 games. It's probably still impossible, but I'm tired of thinking. It's time to believe again.

Speaking of believing, can we talk about the Bucknell Bison? Coming into the season, I had a feeling that they would contend for the Patriot League crown, but seeing that I never get to watch any games, I just assumed that the experts would be right. American, and not Bucknell, would be going to the NCAA tournament. We had our magic in 2005 and 2006. Sure, we could continue to have a winning records in the league, but winning the league would need to wait. Luckily, no one told that to Mike Muscala, Daryl Shazier, Joe Willman, Bryson Johnson and the rest of the Bison. After a home win against American on Wednesday, I AM ALL IN on the Bison. To regular readers of the blog, this shouldn't come as a surprise - I have had crazy Muscala Love all season. The difference now is that I am not in any way scared of the Patriot League tournament. You see, the cruel thing about one-bid leagues is that the best team in the regular season is never assured a spot in the big dance. They need to remain focused and brush aside those pesky upset artists in the first rounds and then beat the second best team in the final for probably the third time. One slip up and you're done. Even if the BIson win their last 5 games to move them to 22-8 (13-1 conference), if they lose to colgate or Holy Cross or some other shit scholl, they're done. Season over. Luckily, I can sit here today and say with absolute certainty, that I have complete faith that they will get the job done. Disappointment be damned. Faith, I'm back and I'm hitching a trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment