Monday, February 14, 2011

Random TV Comments

My lack of recent posts has a lot to do with nothing overly exciting me in the sports world. Sure, I am loving the Devils hot streak, the Bison and Huskies, but besides those three, I am just waiting for March Madness and the return of the Sounders and Mets. Like mid-July, this is definitely one of the worst stretches of sports every year.

So what I would like to do is take the rare opportunity to write about tv. I'll start off by saying that I don't have Tivo nor do I have HBO or Showtime, so I don't really get the opportunity to watch any of the best shows. It's definitely something I would like to fix in the future, but in order to do so, I will need to find more time and stop watching sports. Some shows that I definitely need to get on are Mad Men, The Wire, Eastbound and Down, Breaking Bad and maybe a little Hawaii Five-0.

For now, a few comments about the shows that I do watch. First up: The Office. We all know that Steve Carrell is leaving at the end of the season and I for one am wondering how they are going to replace him. While Jim, Pam and Dwight are all major characters, The Office would not be a hit if not for Michael Scott. So much of the script revolves around his needy, childish behavior that I'm not sure where the show will go with someone new. Do they straight up try to replace him and go on for a few more years or do they promote from within and make Jim or Dwight the boss (something they have teased several times in the past)? While I hope for the latter, I'm not sure whether The Office will be able to survive.

This is unlike CSI (yes, people still are watching) which in my opinion did a beautiful job of moving on when Grisham left. I really like how they took a show with a particular premise and worked their butt off to develop characters. Grisham was indeed the lead, but the nature of the show always allowed Catherine, Nick, Sara, and Warrick to be on camera. When Grisham left, we all assumed Lawrence Fishburn would simply come in and replace him. But what we didn't realize was that their was only one Grisham. He could never be replaced. So the writers promoted Catherine and made Fishburn, the biggest name on the show, an entry level CSIer. It was beautifully done. Add in the return of Sara and the promotion of Greg from lab-rat to scene investigator and the show has not lost a beat.

On to a show that I know only has a particluar audience, I am a big fan of Parenthood. I'm sure that decreases my coolness factor a bit, but I simply can't help liking the show as it hits really close to home. I totally identify with Adam and know that I am going to have the same struggles with communicating with Abby in 14 years. You watch the show and know that he and Kristina are not handling the Haddie situation correctly. Put in that same situation though, I'm sure most of us would react the same way as it is easier to think straight when the situation is not your own.

My other favorite is Community, a show that you should be watching if not already. I don't know how to describe it, but even though every episode is completely nuts, I find myself coming back for me. I used to work at a Community College (big ups to SCCC) and all of the characters are perfectly cast - as all CC's have students like those on Community. All the characters have flaws that we can relate to and that is what helps me overlook the crazy notion that priority scheduling is determined by a paint ball tournament or that old meat from a military store can lead to zombism (a real world) or even that Greendale had a secluded Utopian-like area with a giant trampoline on its grounds. Whatever it is, keep on doing it.

Finally, a word about the Grammy's. I'm not an awards guy, but the word that Enimem would be performing with Rihanna and Dr Dre was enough to get me to watch. I have to say that I was not disappointed as their were tons of great moments. First, in terms of awkward moments, is there any one more awkward than Nicole Kidman? I know that she is married to Keith Urban and that could be a reason for all the face-time she got, but at what point does the producer tell the cameraman to get away from her lame ass? They had to be in on the joke right? The comedy was great. Next, can we talk about Mick Jagger a little? I have never been a Rolling Stones guy, but after watching him perform I think I like him even less. It's not that he is a bad singer or even a bad guy, it's just that I can't stand watching his wrinkly skin and his freakishly long fingers. Am I wrong in thinking that his performance was cringe worthy? I know the entire audience was standing, but that's out of respect, right?
  • Some very short final thoughts on the event: Not too many people were in love with Babs Streisand.
  • I don't think anyone knows who Esperanza Spalding is and how she beat Drake for Top Newcomer.
  • The Enimen-Rihanna-Dr Dre set left me wanting more. More Rihanna (and that awesome dress). More Dre. Less Skylar Grey, who interestingly did not have a single close-up the entire time. Was that by design?
  • John Mayer looked like a pedophile.
  • Rihanna's performance of What's My Name == HOT
  • I apologize for all that I have done in making Snooki and the Situation reality stars
  • Lady Gaga continues to push boundaries. She is a genius and not just crazy, right?

1 comment:

  1. Apology accepted. Don't do it again.
    -DLib

    ReplyDelete