Saturday, February 19, 2011

This is Getting Ridiculous

This is starting to get ridiculous. Two more games, two more Devils wins. On January 9 the Devils sat in dead last with a 10-29-2 record, 27 points out of a playoff spot and headed straight for the 1st pick in the draft. Fast forward 42 days and they now sit only 10 points out of the playoffs thanks to a 15-1-2 tear in the past 18 games. Right now they can't lose. I simply have no words to describe it. It is simply amazing - I honestly believe that they can come all the way back to make the playoffs. I mean, how can they not, right? 15-1-2 isn't a fluke...

Now that we are making a run towards the playoffs, I will be interested to see if we make any trades to improve the team. Back in December, we were at a point where I was calling for all of the veterans to be traded. I said that we needed to reload and get younger. Now I imagine that Lou will need to strongly consider whether to upgrade the team and take a shot at the playoffs. The trade deadline is 9 days away so there's not much time. He is going to have to go with his guts. After all, it is entirely possible they he makes a trade and then the team goes back to sucking.

Normally I am able to think objectively. Sure they are hot right now, but what was wrong with them during the first 43 games? Is 18 amazing games enough to erase a terrible 43? Any other time I would ask for Lou to hold back...but something about 15-1-2 has got me thinking. I mean, Zach Parise is due back in March. Can you imagine how dangerous they will be if they continue their hot streak AND get their best player back? They can certainly make some noise if they finish in the 8 spot.

I can't believe I am saying this (after all, I am the one reminding Seahawks fans how the division title and playoff cost them 17 spots in the draft), but I want them to make the playoffs. I want them to make a trade before the deadline. I want them to mortgage the future for a run now. It's almost too perfect of a ride right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment