Thursday, March 31, 2011

Love to Hate the Yanks

So for the first time since 1995-96 I will have none of my favorite teams (Devils, Nets) make the playoffs. It is a weird feeling and one that will take some time to get used to. Obviously the Mets could undo all of it if they were to make the playoffs. The problem is that things don't look to good in Flushing - both on the field and off.

So what am I to do? Simple - hate the Yanks. Ever since I moved out to Seattle I have mellowed towards the Yanks. I'm not suggesting I liked the many bit more than before, it's just that they don't ruin my day or week or month anymore. I feel more at ease after having the baseball Armageddon known as a Yanks-Phils World Series; so much so that I was hoping to only be a lover and not a hater this season.

Then a funny thing happened. I watched Quick Pitch on the MLB Network and got to hear Michael Kay calling the Yanks opening day game against Detroit. I don't want to overdue it because there are a lot worse things to dislike in the world, but man I HATE the Yankees, their stupid announcer, the YES network, stupid Yankees Stadium, Yankees fans (all due respect to Asbury, Duker, Double B and Califano) and anything with pinstripes. Listening to Kay just brought out terrible feelings. If Gary Cohen, Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling are Angels, Kay is certainly the Devil. Oh, and Michael Sterling and his Thhhhhheee Yankeees Winnn, Thhhhheee Yankees Winnn is just as bad.

So this year while my Mets toil to 75 wins (ok, this is a momentary lapse out of Ya Gotta Believe mode), I will continue to hate on the Yanks. I will cheer for the Sox. And the Rays. And even the pitiful Mariners. Anyone but the Yanks.

That's all I have to say. Tell me why you hate the Yanks.

3 comments:

  1. I have it on good authority that jorge posada eats kittens. that's reason enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm...wish you had given me that inside info before i drafted him to be my catcher in fantasy (yep, im that guy - the guy who hates the yanks but is ok drafting any of them not named jeter, arod)

    ReplyDelete
  3. there's always time to throw him away.

    ReplyDelete