Monday, April 25, 2011

Bay For MVP

I wish I had was a voting member of the baseball writers association as I would cast my 2011 MVP vote for Jason Bay. Seriously, Jason Bay would get my vote. You see, I consider MVP to be a vote of the person who means the most to their team - the player who is most valuable. It shouldn't be based purely off of stats. It shouldn't be given to the best player on the best team. No, it should be given to the player who means the most to the success of the team.

Using this definition, it is obvious to me that Bay deserves the award. Here are the stats: without Bay the Mets are 5-13. With Bay the Mets are 4-0. Read that again: the Mets are undefeated with Bay in the lineup. While he is hitting a healthy .333 with 1 home run and 3 RBI in 4 games, he has also helped David Wright and Ike Davis. Since his return, Wright snapped out of a 0 for 20 snap, going 6-14 with 2 home runs, 6 RBI and 2 sb. During the same time, Davis is also 6-14 with 2 home runs and 8 RBI.

I'm not sure what it is, but Bay has brought out the most in this team and will lead them to the playoffs.

(Ok, who am I kidding? That is all a lie. I'm stoked that the team has won 4 in a row, but we can't overlook the stats. Regardless of how well the offense does (3rd in the league with 99 runs scored), their success will fall on their arms. A 4.55 team ERA (including 4.80 by the starters) just won't get it done. This is a bad, bad team and one that only the most hardcore of Mets fans still thinks has a shot at the playoffs. I hope Bay does well. I hope that the Mets win some more games. I just don't think it is going to happen. I will enjoy it while it lasts though.)

2 comments:

  1. how about k-rod for mvp? 258 days (and counting) without a domestic abuse charge is quite an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what's sadder? that as a boston fan, you feel the need to make fun of the mets (come on, we're on the same side -we hate the Yanks remember)? or that you actually took the time to calculate how many days it has been since he punched his father in law?

    ReplyDelete