Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Surprising NBA Playoffs

I think we all anticipated that the 2011 NBA Playoffs would be the best we have seen in a decade. With all the star power concentrated in a few markets, the playoffs were bound to have the higher level of competition than in the regular season. In the East, we all anticipated second round match-ups of Chicago-Orlando and Miami-Boston. In the West, we anticipated Spurs-OKC and Lakers-Dallas. That was really where this whole thing was going to get good. Not saying that the first round series were not going to be good, but I'm pretty sure we only ever though 1-2 teams could pull upsets. And yet here we sit, with two favorites down 3-1 and the defending champs at 2-2. Here is what I am surprised by:

I am surprised that the Knicks didn't give Boston more competition. Obviously looking back at the series, 4-0 was a fair result considering Billups only played in 1 game and Amare was basically ineffective due to injury. I think going into the series I expected it to be 6 games, but in the end, the Knicks showed that it wasn't their time....yet.

I am surprised that the Bulls were at risk of being down 3-1. A lot of people said they were too young to win the title. They would easily get by the Pacers, but no way could they handle getting past Orlando and either Boston or Miami to make it to the NBA Finals. They are good, but young. So I am starting to wonder if their subpar play is actually a good thing...I mean, I know they should have swept the series, but I feel like they are getting on the job training of how to win in the playoffs. It might only be the Pacers, but winning close games in the playoffs is invaluable.

I am surprised that the Magic are down 3-1 to the Hawks. Well, I guess I'm not really that surprised. I really do not like how this team was built (or should I say restructured) after the midseason trade. I thought they were a fluke, yet they came into the playoffs highly favored over the Hawks because well...the Hawks just have something missing. They are a good perimeter team, but are classic underachievers. I am surprised they are up.

Speaking of favorites being down 3-1, can someone explain to me what is happening with the Spurs? I know that they are older. I know that they went 2-2 against the Grizz in the regular season. What I also know is that the Grizz straight-up threw there final games of the regular season so that they were assured a first round series against San Antonio. I respect Memphis for believing they had a good match-up, but it you're the Spurs, how do you not come out and destroy them? What a slap in the face that is. You're the Spurs...you've four titles in the past decade. You have the best record in the league. And you are essentially getting called out by Memphis??? I don't care that you are old. You have to have enough to get by them.

Finally, I am surprised by how mortal the Lakers look. Now I'm sure they will win games 5 and 6. Making us doubt them is what they do. And I am not sold on New Orleans. I know that the Lakers have no defensive match for Chris Paul, but if we had to rank the best players in the series, he would certainly be the only Hornets player in the top 5. Simply put, the Lakers are the better team. They will find a way to win...I think. But then again, Kobe is getting older, Odom is distracted, Bynum is starting to think he is the Alpha Dog, Phil is annoyed at reporters (oh wait, he always is...my bad), Pau has terrible hair and Ron-Ron is crazy. Maybe this is the year they lose?

What I am not surprised by is the drama that the playoffs are creating. It's a good thing, because as you all know, 2011 has been a pretty crappy sports year for me. I need the NBA Playoffs to help me get over the failures of the Devils, Nets, Mets and of course Stevie Z's broken leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment