Friday, May 13, 2011

Feeling a little concerned...

It is finally here: Portland at Seattle. The day that both fan bases have been waiting for. With all due respect to Rapids fans who consider their rivalry with RSL to be the best and to the DC United-Red Bulls rivalry, this is instantly going to be the best rivalry in MLS. I don't need to talk about the history - you can find tons of pieces by simply using Google. What I do want to talk about is my state of mind with the match less than 24 hours away.

In a nutshell, let's just say that I'm worried. The problem with rivalry games is that most of the time, someone is going to lose (normally someone always loses but you can obviously tie in soccer...). I love rivalries as much as the next guy, but I also know how it feels to be a fan of a team that constantly loses its rivalry games. Seeing the Yankees always beat the Mets sucks (worst ever was the 2000 World Series). Seeing the Flyers or Rangers beat the Devils sucks. And of course, having Wazzoo beat the Huskies sucks. Losing sucks. And you know what? Winning the rivalry games is often more of a relief to me than it is pure joy. I'm at the point in life where I just don't want to hear Yankees fans on their high horses. I don't necessarily want to gloat, I just don't want to hear them.

And that is what I am facing going into Saturday's game. I have watched the Timbers this year. I have read their quotes. I have heard what the fans think of us. I know that they all are waiting to take the drive up north and beat us. I know that there insufferable fans want to shut up our insufferable fans. I know they want to talk about how great a home field advantage they have compared to Qwest. I just know they want to talk. And that is what sucks. If they beat us at home, we will NEVER hear the end of it. I won't be able to read any soccer sites for weeks.

Some of you might be yelling at me right now for talking this way. How can a so-called hardcore fan actually be thinking about what happens if his team loses? I mean, losing should never be considered prior to a match. You need to have faith. Well...you know what...you're right, I just have been burned so many times that I can't help it. You try being a Mets, Devils and Nets fan. You can't compete with the Yanks, Rangers and Knicks.

Taking a step back and forgetting about my insecurities as fan, I do think there is reason to be worried. I think it all starts with the Timbers fans and gradually works itself up to the coach. We will obviously have an amazing home field advantage even if 1000 Timers supporters show up. We need not worry about the Timbers Army affecting the outcome of the game in the stands. However, we do need to realize exactly what has been happening leading up to this season and this game. Anyone and everyone who is wearing the Alaskan Airlines jerseys has without a doubt heard about how much the fans hate the Sounders. At every fan event, after every game, on every blog, the fans just waiting to get their hands on us. Without a doubt this has infiltrated the team - regardless of where they are originally from, the players know how important it is to the city. They are going to have a chip on their shoulders. Then add in the affect of Coach john Spencer on the team. Watch any game and you see just how passionate he is about every little thing that goes on. On TV he looks super annoying, but he obviously has the respect and adulation of the entire team - when Kenny Cooper scored his first goal he ran not to his teammates but to John Spencer and when players are subbed off they come and get a big hug from Spencer. If I was a Timbers fan I would love him...unfortunately I am not so I do not.

I think he will have them ready to play. They will be ravenous and chomping at the bit to get us. Meanwhile, I question whether Sigi will have our boys prepared. I know that there have been a lot of pieces featuring Roger Levesque and Brian Schmetzer. They know how important it is...so do Zach Scott, Taylor Graham and Kasey Keller. But what about Jeff Parke, El Presidente, Brad Evans, El Flaco, Fredy Montero? Do they know how important it is? Or are they going to be told to just go out and play our game. Is Sigi going to stress that we play attractive soccer? Is he going to adjust his style if we give up an early goal? He sure didn't when the Sounders got embaressed by Portland and Vancouver in the pre-season. Will he do it now? We have the better team. We have the better players. We are just going to need to be better coached and better motivated to get the job done. I just don't know if that is going to be the case.

With that being said, I will be there Saturday night with The Wife and J-Will. We will boo (or at least I will) every single Timbers player including the strength coach and the trainer. I will wear my rave green and hold my scarf with pride. I will care like this is the most important game ever. I will be one of the 36k who watches our boys have there way with the Timbers. Then I will listen to every spoken word about the game. I will read every written word. (I may even have a few myself). I will remember this day as the day we welcomed the Timbers to MLS. I will remember this day as the day we showed them why we are the Kings of Cascadia.

No comments:

Post a Comment