Sunday, May 22, 2011

Instant (Over)Reaction: KC

It's funny what a single goal can do. I was all ready to denounce this current Sounders team as not any good. I was ready to discuss why this wasn't going to be our year. Sure we are going to win some games. We might make the playoffs, but we are not going to go far. All of these thoughts were staring me in the face as we sat 0-0 at home against the worst team in the league. Then out of no where, Jeff Parke put a Tyson Wahl corner past "The White Puma" Jimmy Nielsen in injury time for a 1-0 win. For the second straight year we scored late against KC - definitely a heartbreaking way to lose.

There were definitely some groans circulating around Qwest as we consistently turned the ball over. We all wanted a reason to be happy, but it was hard to remain excited when the team was playing uninspired and at times, overmatched. And then it happened. I remember shouting for Parke or Hurtado to get to the corner, but no way in my wildest dreams did I really expect it to happen. I mean, besides two garbage goals (one by Marshall, one by Nkufo) we have never had a legitimate goal off a corner in MLS play. It was a shocking development that sent the faithful home happy.

In doing so, I briefly started to talk myself into this being a really good team. There was nothing specific to it - it was just one of those feel good moments when all felt right.

One I got in the car I was able to evaluate the result more rationally. Here are the facts: we started Roger Levesque and Servando Carrasco. We played pretty crappy. We got the full three points. At the end of the day, getting the three points is most important. I constantly rail on Sigi for not being able to change the strategy when things are not going well. Sometimes I feel that he would rather have us play pretty soccer than winning soccer. In the long run that might be the case, but sometimes you just need to play some ugly soccer and get the win. That's exactly what happened tonight. Come October when teams are battling for the final playoff sports, this could be hugely important.

But here's the rub: sure, getting this win was important, but it doesn't exactly make you feel good. To me, there is a difference in gutting out a win with White, Friberg and Evans on the field. You assume there will be better days. But with a young Carrasco, Levesque, Jaqua and Fucito on the field, this is what you have to expect. I mean, the ceiling is not much higher than gutting out 1-0 wins.

I'm not trying to downplay the result - getting the win was hugely important (especially with both Dallas and RSL later this week). Most of you know I love the above quartet, but the fact remains that they need to be getting substitute minutes - we need Evans, Friberg, White and Rosales on the field if we are going to reach our full potential. Anyone who feels differently is simply not thinking rationally.

Some other notes:
  • El Flaco definitely fell back down to earth after a spectacular game last week.
  • I am still not the biggest fan of Tyson Wahl, but he really does serve a beautiful ball. At this rate, Leo Gonzalez will have a big hill to climb to get his starting spot back
  • Montero is still unable to find the back of the net and while most fans re getting frustrated at him for not shooting more, I actually am feeling good about how he is playing. If you watch some of the replays I think you see that he has been making good decisions - it's just that as a team we are not finding ourselves with many open looks. Credit to Montero for increasing his work rate. He is more involved and actually seems to be assuming a larger role with the team.
  • The rain held out for an entire half! Amazing.
  • I keep on hearing media types talk up Kei Kamara, but I have NEVER been impressed. I'm not sure what makes him a 'star'...
  • A week after my first jump hug, I had my first group hug with The Wife, ZaZa and a reluctant J-Will.

Finally, even with the goal, it was a sad night as my J-Will leaves Monday morning for the Big Apple. The Wife and I have had seats next to him since Day 1 and it is going to be sad not to have him there anymore. No offense to his brother C-Will and my boys D-Lib and Irish Mike, but it is not going to be the same. Will miss ya kid.


UPDATE:
I just watched the highlights and Arlo White had another amazing call on the last second goal. I love listening to this guy. Also, all of the interviews are suggesting that Sigi called out Parke and a few other players for not having scored recently - I'm sure Parke took it as motivation, but what a better F-You moment than that? I told The Wife on the way home that I would be interested to see the teams reaction to the goal and as I expected, you can really tell that this is a close team. They clearly have each others back, even with all of the competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment