Thursday, May 19, 2011

Two Things I'm Scared Of

Here are two things that scare me:
  1. The 2011 Subway Series officially beings Friday night at the new Yankee Stadium. As I mentioned in a previous post, I hate these sort of rivalry games. In my current stage of life, the pain of losing is more than the joy of winning. I have been beaten down so many years that I just want it to go away. I mean, playing the Yankees 6 times every year sucks. Not just because I hate losing to the bastards, but also because it sucks that we get them and while the Nationals get the Orioles 6 times.

    Anyways, the Yanks are 45-33 against the Mets in Interleague play since 1997 (not to mention 4-1 in the World Series). This year they come into the game with a 23-19 record (only 2.5 games better than the Mets amazingly), but they are second in the AL in runs per game (5.0). On the mound for the Mets will be the 2011 version of RA Dickey...you know, the version that is 1-5 with a 5.08 ERA and 1.60 WHIP compared to the 2010 version which was 11-9 with a 2.84 ERA and 1.19 WHIP. Then we have Mike Pelfrey, who even with a 2.11 ERA in May is 3-3 on the year with a 5.11 ERA. In the middle we have Chris Capuano who I actually have some confidence in. I am totally scared at the crooked numbers the Yanks could put on the board all three nights. With our starting pitching (outside of Young, Gee and Niese) we could lose all three games. The only ray of hope is that we will be seeing Freddy Garcia, Ivan Nova and AJ Burnett take the mound against us. Having them as you 3-5 starters cannot make anyone feel confident in Yankee land.
  2. I am scared of Sporting KC, the Sounders opponent on Saturday night. To me, this has all the makings of a trap game. I know that we are 3-1 lifetime against the former Wizards. I know that they have the fewest points in the league after starting 1-5-1. I know that they are going to play their 8th straight game away from home. I know we are a better team. I know all of this...and it makes my gut feeling even stronger. I think we might have a bit of a hangover from last week and I think we could easily look past them. What's that old saying? Something about a tiger being most dangerous when it is wounded? We saw it in DC (a game we should have cruised in). It could happen again. KC is definitely wounded right now. Four straight losses including a 4-1 loss this past weekend to LA. We should definitely win, but I have to caution us not to take this team lightly. They are more than capable of coming in here and winning (just like 2009 when Davy Arnaud scored the game winning goal after Kasey Keller got sent off with a red card).
*****

On the other side, one thing that makes me happy is the news that the Atlanta Thrashers are being sold and moved to Winnipeg. This is awesome. The NHL does not belong in Miami, Atlanta, Carolina, Nashville or Phoenix. It belongs in Winnipeg, Quebec, Hamilton and while I have never been there and know nothing about it, probably Saskatoon too. This is a good thing. I am excited about my unplanned trip to Calgary-Edmonton-Winnipeg in the next decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment