Monday, July 25, 2011

All is Wright Now That He is Back

I am loving that David Wright is back. By all shadow of a doubt, he is my favorite current Mets player and has probably surpassed both HoJo and Mike Piazza in terms of all-time favoritism. When Wright was out for 57 games, it just didn't feel right. Sure, the team was overachieving - winning with not just Reyes and Beltran but with Justin Turner, Dillon Gee, Daniel Murphy, Josh Thole and Ruben Tejada - but without Wright, I felt a little dirty rooting for them. I mean, if they were winning without him, then there are some obvious conclusions that can be drawn. What if Wright was indeed the problem and instead of moving Reyes they would be better off moving him?

Simply mentioning that sentence makes me sick. I have said it before and I'll say it again - I know I can't think rationally when it comes to Wright. I'd like to still think that Wright can be part of the solution - that he is not only the top third baseman in the league, but a player that can bring a championship to Queens. I honestly believe this and am happy to have him back in the lineup.

Now I know he will go through his tough spells - he is no longer than same player from 4 years ago that would take what the pitcher gave him and go to the opposite field. He is pulling the ball more, striking out more and solely trying to drive in runs. Yet, at the end of the day, I don't think there is any other third baseman I would want on my team. Not Longoria. Not Zimmerman. Not Beltre. Not A-Rod. AND there is no other player I want leading my team. I love that he grew up a Mets fan. I love that he takes losing personally. I simply love him.

Now I know it is only early, but the returns have been good. In 4 games since his return, Wright is 8-19 with 3 doubles, 1 home run and 6 rbi. He is on fire, but unfortunately the Mets are only 2-2.

If both he and Reyes can stay healthy for the rest of the year AND if both Justin Turner and Daniel Murphy continue hitting well then this will continue to be a fun team to support (even after they trade Beltran later this week - something I will write about at another time). I am loving what Murphy is doing - hitting .308 with 26 doubles and 44 rbi while playing 40 games at 1b, 23 games at 2b, 26 games at 3b and 1 game in Left Field. I had high hopes for him, but not even I could have dreamed of this. With the unfortunate season-ending injury that Ike Davis suffered, it is a blessing to have Murphy and his ever-improving glove in the line-up for us. As for Turner - he was behind both Brad Emaus and Murphy entering the year but is now firmly entrenched in the 2-hole and hitting .277 on the year. I can't even say how pleasant a surprise he has been because I hadn't even heard of him coming into the year.

So yeah, this team is only 51-51, but with Wright back and Reyes continuing to kill the ball, the remainder of the season is bound to be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment