Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Instant (Over)Reaction: Galaxy

Good morning to all - it has been a few days since I have had anything new to say, so let me start off by getting a few personal things out of the way. First, having a two-year old in the summer time is an amazingly fun thing. You have an excuse to sit outside all day, play on some jungle gyms, draw on the sidewalk and look for bugs. It's great. Second, thanks to the Seattle weather for giving us 2 beautiful days over the holiday weekend. Third, I can't say I enjoy the 4th of July anymore. Maybe it will mean something to me again in the future, but all I could do last night was cringe with anxiety every time a firework went offnear our house with The Incident sleeping in her room. Fourth, I'm going on vacation at the end of the week, so JS content will be down for a little bit. I hope to be able to get a few things in before then.

Ok, so let's get to the game last night. The Sounders went into LA with a 8-4-7 record, unbeaten in the last 6. If there was a game where we could break the Galxay demons this was surely going to be it. We are not only hot, but they were going to be without David Beckham (who reports were saying would miss the game because Posh had scheduled the birth of their 18th kid with a US city name on July 4th) and were down to their 3rd sting goalie. The planets were aligned.

After 90 minutes, the two teams were exactly where they started - tied 0-0 in a game that I actually found to be quite enjoyable considering the lack of scoring. Here are my thoughts:
  • I really liked the idea of wearing the electricity kits. I know some still don't like them (they have grown on me, especially given the currently hideous version of our raves), but it was a nice change up and something that you often see in college football. At the end of the day, players have to make plays - what they are wearing doesn't matter a damn bit...but going with the unexpected can often give you a short term bump early in the game.
  • A tie on the road against the best team in the league is a good result, but we all know it could have been better. Shame on the Sounders for not testing rookie goalie Brian Perk more. I know the LA defense should get some of the credit for keeping the shot count down, but once again, we seem to have no one besides Ozzie Alonso and Mike Fucito who are willing to shoot the damn ball.
  • Terrible PK attempt by Fredy Montero. I fully expected him to miss so it wasn't a huge letdown. However, I thought it was a good call by the ref even if John Harkes didn't like it.
  • Once again, the defense did a good job on Donovan. Kudos to both Riley and Wahl (although Wahl did get bailed out once when Donovan hit a header straight to Keller after forgetting he was behind him)
  • I have really enjoyed how Levesque has played in the last few weeks. It's easy to say that when he scores goals, but even last night, when the team had nothing to show for it, I thought he was active and didn't turn the ball over much
  • A bounce back game from Alonso - back to his ball winning ways.
  • I really enjoy watching the Rosales-Friberg-El Flaco-Alonso midfield. For the first time in our brief history I thought we had guys out there who could connect 10 straight passes without turning it over or playing a long ball.
  • Speaking of Rosales he is definitely my favorite player (not named Alonso) right now. His energy and technical skill makes him a threat every time he has the ball. I know he has only played like 15 games for the Sounders, but I would go as far as to say he is the 4th best/most important signing during our three year history. (For me, its Keller-Alonso-Montero in some order, with Zakuani not counting since he was giftedn to us for being an expansion team)
  • Another nice seque, speaking of Zakuani, we really missed him last night. For how well the midfield played (even though final stats were 55-45 possession for LA), they were missing that one guy who could stretch the defense the way Stevie does. Everytime Mauro got a step on a guy you knew he was going to cross it whereas Zakuani beats the guy on the end line and causes total havoc.
  • Chad Barrett will always suck.
  • Juan Pablo Angel missed two shots by mere inches - there was a time around the 70th minute right after Beckham came in where I felt the momentum shift. I was scared that a small mental lapse was going to cost us, but we held on with a little luck. Angel from 2 years ago finished those opportunities
Up next are the hated Timbers next Sunday at JELD-Wen Field. I know Rob Stone and John Harkes have to promote it, but I take a little offense to the notion that it will be the best atmosphere has ever seen...it is indeed going to be special, but let's not forget how we get 36k in our stadium and how ECS punked the Timbers Army a month ago with their 9 banner display. What are they going to do? Allow some crazy guy into their stadium wielding a chainsaw? Come on now.

No comments:

Post a Comment