Friday, July 29, 2011

NFL Free Agency Frenzy

As expected it has been a crazy few days in the NFL. I don't claim to be an expert on pro football anymore, but I do have some thoughts on the mayhem. Let's get to it:

Eagles: They traded Kolb to Arizona for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and then added the prize of the free agent class, Nmandi Asomugha...to suggest their defense is a lot more scary is an understatement. To me, though, the most interesting move was signing Vince Young to be Michael Vick's back-up. I'm not sure if this is going to work. I mean, Young is a headcase and I'm still not convinced that Vick is the changed man everyone thinks he is. If he truly has changed, then this might be an amazing situation for Vince, but then again, this is Philly, where fans boo their own mothers.

Panthers: I am just so stoked to have renounced my rooting interests...I can't handle supporting a team with Cam Newton and Jimmy Claussen as it's QB's. On the free agent front, they probably overpaid DE Charles Johnson, but it's a decision I could live with. What is baffling, though, is throwing a ton of money at DeAngelo Williams, Thomas Davis and Olindo Mare (3year, $12 million??). I know two of the guys I noted are from Georgia, but this was a silly signing spree.

Tennessee: Going all Seattle with the signing of Matt Hasselbeck to tutor Jake Locker. Locker needs to sit to start the year...Mattie Ice should be the perfect guy to learn from.

Miami: My one Dolphins' friend is not pleased with the Matt Moore signing and really he shouldn't be. I was in his corner at the beginning of the 2010 season, but he is no upgrade over Chad Henne. They are losing both Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown and replacing them with Reggie Bush? I am a huge Bush fan, but does anyone still think he can be an every down back? This is not going to end well.

New England: Jason Whitlock is calling Bill Belichek arrogant in thinking that he can turn around Ochocinco and Albert Haynesworth, but I think both are worthwhile gambles. I love Ochocinco and just like Randy Moss before him, I think he will fall in line with the Patriots way. I know the previous regime didn't end well, but let's not forget how the first few years went. As for Haynesworth? Who knows if he can fit into the 3-4 in NE..if yes, they will have a nasty combo with Wilfork..if no, they can just cut him.

New Orleans: Loved what they did in signing Darren Sproles to go along with Mark Ingram. He is a big upgrade and can do more than Bush.

Arizona: In 2011 I am not sold on Kevin Kolb, which is funny because I was totally sold on him in 2010. Now, I realize that anyone is better than Derek Anderson, but they spent a lot of money on a guy who has started only 7 games. If they messed up in giving him the reigns to the franchise, they will be right back in the cellar. A key decision in the Ken Whisenhunt era.

Seahawks: In the course of three days, Seattle spent big money on QB Tarvaris Jackson, WR Sidney Rice and G Robert Gallery. I decided that I would let Seahawks fans get the first say on this one and here is what they think:
  • Irish Mike: I'm not happy about the Jackson signing. Tavaris Jackson is a bust, he had probably THE best offensive line in football, some of the best wide receivers in football and one of the top two running backs in the game and he still underwhelmed. Any other QB would have looked like a stud, and yet he went 10-10 with the Vikings. Sounds like the new offensive coordinator Bevell has the serious hots for this washout.
  • J-Will: I will say that I think Pete gets a lot more out of players (Mike Williams for example) then other coaches. I am not a huge expert on the Vikings, but Childress does
    not appear to me to be an inspiring coach and Minnesota can not be considered a stable place to develop a QB. So of all the places for Tavaris to excel, I think under Pete is as good as any. So there are my positives. Negatives: as Mike pointed out he had a great line
    (anchored by a former Seahawk, but let's not get into that), and a couple of good RBs and WRs. So if surrounding a QB with good players could have lead to success, i think we would have seen it by now. Seeing that Bevell was at Minnesota makes me think he has to have some insight and influence into this deal.
So what's my take? Well, part of me says they showed good restraint in not mortgaging the future by trading for Kevin Kolb and part of me says that a 2-year deal for Jackson isn't terrible as this is still a young team - even though they made the playoffs last year doesn't mean they're ready to win now. But the overwhelming feeling is one of shock. Tarvaris has terrible accuracy and couldn't get it done with Adrian Peterson supporting him. Does Seattle think something will change in the go around with Bevell as his coordinator? I don't know man, it just is crazy. As for Gallery, I think that's a good signing. Rice? Well, when will they learn? First it was Branch. The Burleson. Then TJ. Stop signing big names and go get players like Bobby Engram.

2 comments:

  1. Branch, Burleson and Houshmandzadeh all played solid roles for Seattle. If you are saying they were overpaid, then I will agree. But they can not be considered bad signings.

    -East Coast JWill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know Johnny... You can say what you want about Burleson (especially since you chased him down and tackled him in HS), but defending the TJ and Branch signings is just wrong. Look at the facts:

    TJ: 5 year deal for $15 million guaranteed money. In 2009 he had 911 yards and 3 tds before being CUT prior to the 2010 season. I mean, that's $15 million for one year of work. Then last year he had 398 yards for Baltimore...someone had to know he was washed up.

    Branch: Traded their 2007 first round draft pick to NE and then signed him for 6 years, $39 million. Excluding 2010 when he was traded, he started 12 games a year and averaged 558 yards and 3 TD's. That is not good.

    I think you are trying to separate money out of the equation. To me, saying someone like Fredy Montero is overpaid is appropriate...at the end of the day though he is our leading scorer so he is not a terrible person to have on the team. Nate Jaqua however is getting paid a lot AND not contributing. He is like Branch and TJ - both over paid AND not good...therefore bad signings.

    ReplyDelete