Saturday, August 13, 2011

My NFL Watch List

As you may or may not have heard, last year I became an NFL Atheist [correction: I think I should call myself a NFL free agent - after more thought an NFL atheist would not even believe in the NFL, which is something I do believe in...]. I found that I was watching the NFL more for the fantasy implications that I was to support my favorite team. To most NFL fans it is heresy, but I just don't have a major rooting interest anymore. It's all my fault - instead of continuing to be a hardcore Giants fan, I gave up on them during some down times and instead decided to support an expansion team from Carolina. I was really into them at first, and then slowly over time they began to have less appeal. Part of it was that I was living nearly 3000 miles from the team. Part of it was the up and down seasons. A huge part of it was having that punk Jimmy Claussen as the starting QB last year (and now Cam Newton this year). The bottom line is that I cared more about my fantasy team than my real team.

So last year I decided the hell with the Panthers - I was going to enjoy the NFL in the way that I wanted to. That meant being following teams and players that interest me. It's totally subjective and I figure as long as I don't get fully caught up in supporting one team I can get away with it. So with that, here is my pre-season list of players, teams and situations that interest me:
  • Detroit Lions - They are somehow a trendy sleeper pick because of their revamped defense. Not only am I into Ndamukong S'uh but injured ravaged Georgia alum Matthew Stafford.
  • KC Chiefs - This was a team that I just enjoyed watching last year. They have an up and coming defense and I am totally into Jamaal Charles.
  • Oakland Raiders - I am shocked that I am actually into this franchise, but they showed a lot of spunk and heart last year. Still waiting for McFadden to find his college form.Jake

  • Jake Locker - This is an easy one. Nothing but love for the former Husky QB.
  • Sam Bradford - I was not sold on him going into 2010, but after one year I am fully convinced that he is the next superstar QB in the league. I am VERY interested to see what he can do this year.
  • Colin Kaepernick - This comes as a total surprise, but as I watch this SF-NO preseason game, I find myself rooting for the rookie from Nevada. I have no idea if he will see any action, but I will be rooting for him to beat our Alex Smith.
  • AJ Green and Andy Dalton - A Georgia guy and an underdog read-head from TCU...to bad they are on the worst offensive team in the league.
  • Josh Freeman - Interested in seeing how he progresses this year.
  • Mark Ingram - Not a huge Alabama fan, but respected what he did in college (probably because of the story with his dad). I am excited to see what he can do with this offense surrounding him.
Now before I end this, I do want to say that I was totally into GB, Cleveland, the Jets and KC last year. I still really like what Aaron Rodgers and company are doing, but they won the title last year, so I have to get off of that bandwagon. Oh, and I haven't drafted either of my fantasy football teams yet, so I can't speak to my fantasy studs, but I imagine Michael Vick will be on that list.

No comments:

Post a Comment