Thursday, August 11, 2011

Shut Up Tebow

Let me get this out of the way. I have loved the University of Georgia football since I was 8 years old. I love Eric Zeier, Rodney Hampton, Terrell Davis, Mike Bobo, Robert Edwards, David Pollack, David Greene, Matthew Stafford and to the dismay of all my local friends, Hines Ward. Since 1990 UGA is 3-18 against the University of Florida. They have ruined sooo many seasons and I really hate them. There have been so many villains over the years but the man I have disliked the most is none other than Mr Tim Tebow. I get that this is the type of guy you would want your daughter to bring home...I just never want it to be him specifically.

Tebow did lose to Georgia once during his 4 year career and didn't torch the Dawgs for as many yards and td's as he did against other teams, but I just could not stand hearing about him. Announcers gushed over him like he was some combination of Joe Montana and Gandhi. National Champion. Heisman Trophy winner. Devout Christian. Virgin. Built houses in developing nations during Spring Break. Motivational speaker. In all respects, he is a good guy, but I just can't stand him.

Last year the Broncos picked him in the 1st round of the draft and instantly created a QB controversy. Starting QB Kyle Orton had just completed a season with 3802 yards, 21 td and 12 int and yet they decided to use their first round pick on Tebow. I still think it was a shocking development - I mean, people love Tebow. There was no way that the fans would be happy with him on the bench, even knowing of all his warts.

Fast forward to 2011 - Tebow has just come off a season in which he started 3 games and he is now battling for the starters job. That's fine - Denver can do what they want, but what really has been annoying me is how Tebow has been handling the criticism.

For every fan that is head over heels in love with Tebow, there is a media member who thinks he won't make it in the pros. The fans say, "hey, give a Tebow a shot." The media say, "we love him as a persona, but he has too many mechanical problems to succeed." For the first time in his life, Tebow is being questioned. This is a guy who has never done anything wrong AND is said by many to be the BEST college football player of all time. He clearly has never had anyone talk poorly of him.

How is he handling it? Instead of quietly burning holes through all his detractors; instead of getting a chip on his shoulder; instead of giving everyone a silent F-U, he is taking to the airways to cry. In response to a criticism by Merril Hoge, Tebow fired back “...It hurts because it's coming from people who haven't seen me practice, haven't seen me play, haven't seen what I can do... Others who say I won't make it are wrong. They don't know what I'm capable of and what's inside me."Now he also said that he tries not to let it bother him and that he is relying on God to help him, but it is clear that it is getting to him.

Bottom line - don't react to what some former NFL player on ESPN has to say. Go about your business, remember all those that wronged you and give them a big F-U by what you can do. I think the big problem is that he is probably too nice. Sure their are exceptions to the rules (David Robinson, AC Green, Cal Ripken, etc), but I would say that all superstar athletes are pricks in one way or another. They have to be in order to make it to the top. Tim Tebow just doesn't have it in him and that is why I think he won't be able to make it. Sure, he will be a great leader, but if he can't block out the criticism it is going to crush him. So Tim, shut up, work hard and don't worry about the media.

2 comments:

  1. I ask the following in a completely non-mocking way, born solely out of curiosity:

    Why are you as devout a follower to UGA football as Tim Tebow is to Jesus "El Saviour" Christ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. very good question and not one that i have a particularly good answer too. when i was 8, i was looking at clothes and saw this awesome red and black shirt with a bulldog on it...it was way cooler than the ND and Miami stuff that was cool at the time. So I started finding out as much as I could about them. Came to really like their freshman QB Eric Zeier and from there just started to love them. My hatred of Florida wouldn't be that great if UGA didn't lose to them every year...but they do so I grew to hate Florida. Teblow really never had a shot because of the past history.

    ReplyDelete