Friday, October 7, 2011

Damn Good Week

I think this past week ranks up there in the upper echelon of great sports weeks. First on Tuesday, I was one of 36k fans to watch the Sounders hoist the US Open Cup trophy for the third year in a row. Then on Thursday, I turned on the Yankees game right in time to watch A-Rod strike out. Seeing the faces of those Yankees fans in stunned silence was priceless. (I just wish Sterling was calling the game so I could have heard the famous "And the Yankees win. Theehehehe Yannkeeeeees win...") Then tonight was the icing on the cake. I watched the Cards hit a triple and double in the first inning off of Roy Halladay but somehow only come away with one run. I figured it wouldn't be enough, but when I turned the game on in the 8th the scoreline was unchanged. I sat nervous as the Phils came up in the 9th...and was as shocked as the Phillies' fans when they went away without a fight. It was a perfect trifecta over the course of 72 hours.

I am in no way trying to gloat. I really am not. I am just happy that I don't have to suffer through all the gloating of Phils and Yanks fan. My team did not finish with a winning record so I am not here to talk shit. I get it, the Phils and Yanks made the playoffs. The Mets didn't. I just know that in the end, none of the 3 teams will be World Series champs in 2011. It is a beautiful consolation prize to an otherwise forgettable baseball year.

No comments:

Post a Comment