Monday, October 10, 2011

NBA Lockout A Good Thing

Ok, maybe it's not a good thing, but it certainly presents a good opportunity for me.

Tonight, when I heard that David Stern canceled the first two weeks of the NBA season, I was unfazed. At that moment I realized that I don't care about the lockout. I just don't care. I am over being angry - I did that in 1999. Now I am just numb to the whole situation. Bottom line is the owners are greedy and the players are out of touch with reality. They entire system is effed up and I think it will take a prolonged work stoppage to really get the two sides to blow it all up and start again. It the entire season is canceled, I won't be mad.

Sure it's a terrible time for the league to have a work stoppage. For the first time since MJ left in 1998 people care about the league. It's not just that the talent is at an all-time high, but for the first time in decades there is a certifiable villain. Fans tuned in last year not just to watch hoops, but to see the Heat lose. Last year was a monumental year for the league.

And now...all the momentum is done. Again, not ideal, but not overly concerning to me. If anything, it represents a great opportunity. I don't have enough time to watch the NFL, NBA, NHL, college football, college hoops, EPL and MLS. With the NBA away, I can focus all my attention on the Devils, BU hoops, UW hoops and the end of the MLS season.

Really, it's a good thing. If the NBA does come back, then cool - I'll have more to choose from. BUT if it doesn't come back, then I get to devote even more time to my boys. Frankly, I'm looking forward to more time with Zach Parise, Ilya Kovalchuk, Martin Brodeur, Adam Larsson, Mike Muscala, Abdul Gaddy, Keith Price and all the guys in rave green.

No comments:

Post a Comment